“The School is intended for the benefit of the County of Chester, a district partly agricultural but comprising also the manufacturing towns of Stockport, Macclesfield, Ashton and Staleybridge, the coal fields of Poynton, the salt works of Northwich, Middlewich and Nantwich, and the sea-ports of Birkenhead and Warrington — and is now about half finished, and will be in operation at the end of September or October. [..] Mr. George William Latham of Bradwall Hall, is the sole manager, there is no committee, and he has the entire responsibility and control. The school is built on his land, about half a mile from his house, and he will be able to add from time to time such land as is wanted for the industrial labour of the boys, and will charge the school with an agricultural rent for it. It is intended that the labour shall be entirely agricultural, and that as many of the boys as places can be found for, shall be apprenticed to farmers when their reform has sufficiently advanced to allow them to leave the school.”
-The Irish Quarterly Review, volume 5, 1855
THE Secretary of State for the Home Depart- ment hereby gives notice that he has allowed the Managers of the Bradwall Reformatory School for Boys, at Sandbach, in Cheshire, to withdraw the notice given by them of their intention to resign the Certificate of this School; and that the notice of such resignation in the London Gazette of the 23rd September, 1887, is therefore cancelled.
-The London Gazette, November 4th 1887
The Secretary of State for the Home Depart- ment hereby gives”notice that he has certified the premises known1 as the Bradwall Training School (Holmes Chapel Section), Holmes Chapel, Cheshire (hitherto known as the Col- lege of Agriculture, Holmes Chapel), as a part of the Bradwall Reformatory School, Sand- bach, Cheshire.
The Certificate, which bears date the llth instant, provides that the number of inmates of the Bradwall Training School (Holmes Chapel Section), -whether sent thereto inpur- suance of the provisions of the Children A ct, 1908, or not, shall not exceed one hundred and twenty-five.
l l t h April, 1918.
- The London Gazette, November 16th 1918
The Secretary of State for the Home Depart- ment hereby gives notice that the Managersof the Bradwall Training School have resigned the Certificate granted on the 19th October, 1916, in respect of the premises at Sandbach, Cheshire, and for tihe premises at Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, which were certified as part of the School on the llth April, 1918, the Secretary of State (hasissued a new Certificate that the premises referred to in the Certificate dated llth April, 1918, to be known in future as The Training School, Holmes ‘Chapel, Cheshire, are fit to be a “Reformatory School for the reception of such boysi as may be sent thereto from time to time in pursuance of the provisions of the Children A ct, 1908.
The Certificate, which bears date tihe21st instant, provides that the number of inmates in the School at any one time, whether sent thereto in pursuance of the provisions of the Children’s Act or not, shall not exceed one hundred twenty-five. WHITEHALL 21st October 1920
-The London Gazette October 26th 1920