Edward Shaw and his wife Benedicta were appointed Superintendant and Matron on 31 January 1888. They received £150 per annum with residence and rations. They were at the School until 1913. Edward was about 77 when he retired. They lived in Hanley in 1871 and were school teachers at that time. In 1881 they were living in Bangor, North Wales.