BRADWALL C.P. WALNUT TREE LANE
SJ 76 SE
7/3 School Cottages
Reformatory school and farm, now cottages, 1855 (datestone). Brown brick with dark clay tile roof to front and grey slate to rear. 2 storeys; 3 windows to front, symmetrical. Camber-arched entry, ovolo front gable, converted to doorway with 2-light small-pane window above. One 3-light small-pane casement to each storey to each side of doorway. The building surrounds a rectangular courtyard; the rear wing has 3 camber-arched openings to courtyard; the front, left and
right ranges are converted to cottages; cast-iron lattice casements in left side of courtyard. 2 ridge chimneys each to front, left and right wings.
Interior: Not fully inspected; no features of special interest were observed.
Founded by G W Latham 1855, with subscriptions from neighbouring landowners, the school cost £255. There were 40 acres of farmland. Superintendent and 4 masters; 60 boys, who were taught farmwork, but with 3 hours schoolwork per day plus household duties. White’s Directory of Cheshire 1860.
Listing NGR: SJ7555363911