Staff

1861 (Census) – Mr Richard Howarth (superintendent) and wife, Caroline (matron). John Good (schoolmaster).William Chemdles (labour master). James Grey (drill master). Mary Clarke (servant). Elizabeth Houlden (servant). Eleanor Nickolson (servant). Martha Wilkinson (servant). Mary Sant (servant). Edward Morris (servant). Mr George William Latham (manager).

1868 – Mr Howarth (superintendent) and wife, schoolmaster Mr Carter

1871 (Census) – Mr Richard Howarth (superintendent) and wife, Caroline (matron). Joseph H Castle (schoolmaster). Thomas Abell (schoolmaster).

1872 – Mr Richard Howarth (superintendent) and wife, Caroline (matron). Mr Cartwright (schoolmaster). Thomas Abell (schoolmaster). Mrs Abell (dairy woman).

1881 (Census)- Mr Richard Howarth (superintendent) and wife, Caroline (matron). Mary Howarth (assistant matron, prison officer). Charlotte Helen Howarth (assistant matron, prison officer). Joseph Attley (schoolmaster). Robert Johnson (schoolmaster). Thomas Swinnerton (labour master).

1884 – Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Howarth, succeeded by Mr & Mrs Edward Shaw; schoolmaster Mr Brickhill; assistant schoolmaster Mr. J Charlwood.

1891 (Census) – Superintendent and matron, Edward and Benedicta Shaw; schoolmaster Mr Edward Shaw Junior., assistant teacher and labour-master Mr George Stephenson; bailiff Mr. Sherwood Suffell.

1901 (Census) – Superintendent and matron, Edward and Benedicta Shaw; schoolmaster Mr E.C Jones appointed 18th January 1900 to succeed Mr Allford who left 14th November 1899. Assistant teacher Mr Arthur W. Shaw; second assistant teacher Mr Samuel Boffey appointed 2nd January 1900 to succeed Mr Hayes, who left 2nd January 1900; assistant matron Miss Benedicta M. Shaw; farm bailiff Mr Thomas Eden.

1903 – Superintendent and matron, Edward and Benedicta Shaw; assistant matron Miss Shaw; schoolmaster Mr A.W. Shaw; assistant schoolmaster Mr James Wood.

1911 (Census). Edward and Benedicta Shaw as Superintendant and Matron. Benedicta M Shaw, Assistant Matron. Arthur Shaw, Teacher. Percy Clarke, Bailiff. James Pye, Teacher. Thomas Harvey, Labour Master.

George William Latham’s cousin, Charles Latham (1816-1907) was surgeon to the Bradwall Reformatory from its foundation until his retirement in 1903.

Edward and Benedicta Shaw

Edward Shaw and his wife Benedicta were appointed Superintendant and Matron on 31 January 1888. They received £150 per annum with residence and rations. They were at the School until 1913. Edward was about 77 when he retired. They lived in Hanley in 1871 and were school teachers at that time. In 1881 they were living in Bangor, North Wales.

Report of HM Acting Chief Inspector of Reformatory Schools, J C Pearson, 1912

A report of a visit to Bradwall Training School on 18th February 1912 stated that the total number of boys was 70, with seventeen boys on license, and 53 boys received skilled instruction mainly on the land.

1912 Inspectors Report

Of the 26 boys discharged during the year 21 went to occupations on neighbouring farms, while five went back to their friends.

Staff included:

  • Mr and Mrs Edward Shaw – Superintendant and Matron
  • Mr A W Shaw – Head Schoolmaster
  • Mr B Temple – Assistant Schoolmaster
  • Doctor Riddell – Medical Officer
  • Mr Shields – Dentist
  • Rev. T Lunt – Chaplin

There had been extensive improvements and extensions including new casement windows and fire escapes in the dormitories; a new floor, ceiling, cooking range and hot water system in the kitchen; a new spray bath and hot water laid on the lavatory; new floor, wash troughs and furnaces in the wash house; new floor in the laundry. All the new floors were tiled.

By this time the 25 acre farm was spade tilled and a speciality was made of fruit growing.

There was a small tailor shop where the boys farming clothes were made.